This Skinny Pumpkin Chai Latte, scented with cloves, allspice, cinnamon, cardamon and star anise, has just 143 calories.
We’ve been having some beautiful Fall days lately, with leaves turning color and the air turning cooler, which makes me crave warm, cozy drinks. I had my first chai latte several years ago and loved the warm spices and aroma. I’ve recreated this chai latte in a lighter recipe, adding pumpkin because I’m kind of obsessed with pumpkin this time of year.
What makes this chai latte lighter? I used unsweetened non-dairy milk (there are many types available these days – choose the unsweetened versions with the lowest calories, whether it’s almond milk, cashew milk, or coconut milk). Plant based milk has no cholesterol, so I like to use it in place of dairy. I used unsweetened cashew milk (25 calories/cup),so each serving comes out to just 143 calories.
If you like this Skinny Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte, then you’re going to love my Skinny Pumpkin Spice Latte, made with coffee and pumpkin pie spice. Both are warming and perfect for chilly Fall days.
- 1 star anise
- 12 whole cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 three-inch sticks cinnamon
- a few dashes ground white pepper
- 1 green cardamon pod, cracked open
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 4 black tea bags (I used English breakfast tea)
- ½ cup pureed pumpkin
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons double vanilla extract
- light whipped cream or cashew cream, optional
- Place star anise, whole cloves, allspice, cinnamon sticks, white pepper, green cardamon pod and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat; let steep, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add non-dairy milk to saucepan and bring to a boil; remove from heat, and add tea bags, pumpkin, maple syrup and vanilla. Let steep, covered, for 10 minutes. Strain into serving mugs. Top with whipped cream or cashew cream if desired.
For vegan version, use cashew cream in place of whipped topping.