Serve this Grilled Salmon with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce with Stir Fry Bok Choy and Steamed Brown Rice for a deliciously healthy meal.
My kids are not big fish eaters unless it’s sushi or fish tacos (they like just about anything wrapped in a tortilla), but I finally found a cooked salmon recipe that they love – Grilled Salmon with Thai Curry Coconut Sauce. I first made this fish recipe during the winter, but now that it’s getting warmer out, I’ve started to grill more. Grilling is fast and easy, and the day I made this I needed a really quick dinner idea.
I bought a large pack of Coho Salmon from Costco’s and cut it into 4 ounce portions (a single serving is actually supposed to be 3 ounces, but my boys are big eaters and still growing). To grill the salmon pieces easily and without any sticking, I lightly oiled a piece of foil, laid the fish pieces on top, then flipped them over so they were also a bit oiled on the top. On a hot grill, this fish can be cooked in no time. My grill was quite hot, so it only took about 5-6 minutes total. I didn’t even flip the fish since the grill was covered. Just one little trick, if one side of your salmon piece is thinner than the other side, simply tuck the thinner piece underneath to create a piece of fish that has even thickness throughout.
The Thai coconut curry sauce was simply made with prepared Thai curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, organic sugar and paprika (for color). I think the reason my kids actually liked this fish dish was due entirely to the Thai coconut curry sauce. In fact, I think they would probably eat just about anything with this sauce.
Grilled Salmon with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or other flavorless oil
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh salmon cut into 3-4 ounce portions
Thai Coconut Curry Sauce
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil or other flavorless oil
- 2 tablespoons Thai curry paste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk plus 1 cup coconut milk divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- fresh kaffir lime leaves finely slivered, optional, for garnish
- Oil a long piece of foil. Lay salmon pieces on top of foil and flip over so both sides of fish are oiled. Grill until just cooked through, about 5-6 minutes. You do not need to flip the fish if the grill cover is down.
- To make Thai Coconut Curry Sauce, cook 2 teaspoons oil, curry paste and 1/2 cup coconut milk in a small saucepan until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add remaining 1 cup coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar and paprika. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer a minutes longer until slightly thickened.
- To serve, spoon Thai Coconut Curry Sauce over grilled salmon.
- Sprinkle slivered kaffir lime leaves on top.
More Asian Inspired Dishes:
Red Curry Meatballs with Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
Thai Stir-Fry Chicken with Basil and Peppers
Korean Lettuce Wraps
Cold Asian Noodles with Peanut Sauce, Chicken and Vegetables
Red Curry Coconut Noodle Soup
Indonesian Shrimp Fried Rice
Stir-Fry Spicy Kung Pao Chicken with Walnuts
Stir-Fry Chinese Noodles with Chicken, Shitake Mushrooms and Vegetables
Thai Turkey Larb Lettuce Wrap
This post has been linked up to Beyond the Peel’s Whole Food Wednesdays.