This Roasted Garlic Tomato Pasta Sauce is extra flavorful. Use in place of regular tomato sauce for pasta dishes, pizza, chicken parmesan and more.
This past weekend, all three of my college-age boys came home. It was so great to see all four of my boys together again – all the noise, laughter, and debating started up almost immediately. They had come home to comfort my youngest son, whose hamster died suddenly last Thursday. His name was CJ and my son was devastated by the loss. His big brothers all decided to come home to show their support despite their busy schedules and workload. I am so proud of them and how they showed their love and commitment to support their little brother.
I loved seeing all my boys together again, and it was fun cooking for all of them. We had a special send-off dinner on Sunday night as the first of the boys went back to school. I think they all appreciated some good old home cooking after all the college fare.
I happened to have made this Roasted Garlic Tomato Pasta Sauce just before everyone came home. The recipe made a pretty good amount so I took advantage of the fact that I had my big eaters at home again to help enjoy this delicious sauce.
If you like roasted garlic, you’re going to love this pasta sauce recipe. Roasted garlic isn’t strong – it’s sweet and mellow and is a great way to boost flavor in sauces, soups, hummus and salad dressings. It would be great in place of marinara sauce in just about any recipe including pizza, lasagna and chicken parmesan.
Today, I’m participating in Food Network’s Fall Fest where Roasted Garlic is being featured. Please be sure to check out what my fellow foodie friends made:
The Lemon Bowl: Crispy Garlic Baked Chicken Breasts
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Baking Sheet Spaghetti with Roasted Garlic, Peppers & Eggplant
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Red Swiss Chard with Roasted Garlic & Balsamic
Red or Green: Pasta Puttanesca with Roasted Garlic
Taste with the Eyes: Crusted Ahi with Roasted Garlic Tahini
Dishing With Divya: Baked Salmon with Garlic and Herbs
Virtually Homemade: Roasted Broccoli and Garlic with Feta Cheese
The Cultural Dish: Roasted Garlic Infused Olive Oil
Domesticate Me: Butternut Squash Soup with Roasted Garlic, Goat Cheese and Pepitas
The Mom 100: Roasted Garlic and Tomato Bread
Devour: Roasted Garlic Recipes Worth Worshipping
FN Dish: 10 Excuses to Eat Roasted Garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup organic tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 (28-ounce) cans organic whole tomatoes, with their juices
- 3 whole heads roasted garlic cloves removed from peels
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan; add onions and saute until soft and lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook another minute. Add tomato paste, salt, vinegar, hot sauce, red pepper, and herbs; cook for a minute. Add tomatoes, using your hands to squeeze and crush them as you place them in the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add roasted garlic cloves and stir to combine. Continue to cook 30 minutes, adding some water as necessary if sauce is too thick.