This Roasted Butternut Squash Beet Cranberry Salad with Apple Pumpkin Seed Oil Dressing is a wonderful Fall salad and perfect for holiday entertaining.
This Fall, I signed myself up for an 11-week Bible study, which I’ve found is the best way to keep myself on track and disciplined in my study of the Bible. Yes, there’s homework involved, but it’s the best way I’ve found that keeps me focused and accountable… after all, who wants to show up and fess up that they couldn’t carve 30 minutes out of their day to do their homework. Left to my own devices, I know I’d be consumed by the busy-ness of life and not open my Bible. The group of women that meet every week are amazing – I’m always so inspired listening to them tell how they’ve reached out to people in their communities and their friends to show love in a tough world. It motivates me to try to do more for others and to try to treat everyone with kindness. It’s a work in progress.
One of the fun parts of our weekly gatherings is the social time before we break out into our study groups. Everyone takes turns bringing food and we get to chat and catch up with each other. I made this Roasted Butternut Squash Beet Cranberry Salad one of those nights and everyone appreciated my healthy contribution. I’ve kind of got a reputation for bringing the healthy stuff ;). Another woman brought a delicious quinoa salad that I’ve got to try very soon.
For this Fall themed salad, I roasted some butternut squash and yellow beets from the farmer’s market, and plumped up dried cranberries by heating them in a little apple cider and orange juice. The Apple Pumpkin Seed Oil Dressing takes on a rich deep color from the pumpkin seed oil (from Trader Joe’s) and pomegranate balsamic vinegar. Heart healthy flax seed oil makes this dressing a healthier dressing.
This jewel toned salad would make a great addition to your Fall menu, and would be a beautiful side dish for Thanksgiving or any Fall entertaining.
- 5 cups butternut squash chunks, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons apple cider
- ¼ cup reserved orange/apple juice plus more apple juice if needed
- ¼ cup flax seed oil
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seed oil
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 15 ounces mixed baby salad greens, washed and dried
- 1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1½ cups roasted beets, cut into bite-size pieces
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, toss together butternut squash chunks, coconut oil, and maple syrup; season to taste with salt. Transfer to parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast 35-40 minutes, until tender and just caramelized.
- Place dried cranberries, orange juice and apple juice in a small saucepan. Heat until boiling; turn heat to low and simmer a few minutes; turn off heat and cover; after cool, drain cranberries, reserving juice for the dressing.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl. Top with roasted butternut squash, roasted beets and toasted pumpkin seeds. Drizzle with dressing and toss; serve.