This Red Curry Coconut Noodle Soup comes together quickly and is perfect for a light lunch or dinner.
One of the things I like about Pinterest is that it serves as a visual index, making it easy to find recipes I want to try. I have a board titled Asian Soup Noodles and one recipe that I pinned was for a Veggie Laksa. Whenever I go to a Southeast Asian restaurant and crave soup noodles, I order a bowl of something similar. I’m not sure it’s a laksa, but it tastes of coconut milk, red curry paste and lemongrass. The recipe I pinned had only a few ingredients, simply red curry paste, coconut milk, water, vegetables, noodles and fresh basil.
I was looking for a quick and easy lunch to throw together one day last week so this noodle soup fit the bill. However, I did add a few extra flavorings to the broth (I used broth instead of water), including fresh lemongrass and some fresh ginger from the local Asian grocery store. I also had a pack of shirataki noodles (made from yam, so it’s low-carb and gluten-free) that I’ve been wanting to try, so I used that instead of regular noodles. Finally, I cut up some tofu (for a little protein) and bok choy. Within 10 minutes, I had a bowl of these Red Curry Coconut Noodles ready for a quick and easy lunch.
- 1 teaspoon flavorless oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed, peeled, tender part smashed
- 1 piece ginger, about the size of a quarter, smashed
- 2 cups bok choy, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 pound shirataki noodles, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup silken tofu, cubed
- a dash of gluten-free soy sauce or fish sauce
- Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add curry paste and stir, cooking until fragrant, just a few minutes. Add coconut milk, broth, lemongrass, and ginger. Bring to a boil, then add bok choy. Cook for one minute.
- Then add shirataki noodles and tofu. Cook until warmed through. Add a little soy sauce or fish sauce if desired.
More Asian Noodle Soup Recipes:
Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup
Quick and Easy Miso Soba Noodle Soup
Vietnamese Vegetarian Pho
Easy Honey Miso Glazed Salmon and Soba Noodle Soup
Turkey Soba Noodle Soup
Chinese Noodle Soup with Egg and Vegetables (Da Lu Mein)