This Quinoa Banana Chocolate Chip Breakfast Bake is a great way to start the day off – kind of like banana chocolate chip bread in a bowl.
Recently, I picked up a copy of The Daniel Plan 40 Days to a Healthier Life by Rick Warren, which encourages living a healthy lifestyle by focusing on five areas: faith, food, fitness, focus and friends. The basis for this plan is that God designed our bodies to be healthy, and in order for us to engage fully in the purpose for our life, to love, serve, connect and celebrate the gifts God has given us, we need to treat our bodies and minds with the care that He intended. Faith and friends are the “secret sauce’ that make The Daniel Plan so effective.
Pastor Rick Warren and thousands of people from the Saddleback Church transformed their lives through the Daniel Plan – 15,000 people lost over 260,000 pounds in the first year! That’s an incredible measure of success.
I’m still working my way through this book, but in the meanwhile, I wanted to share a recipe inspired by the Quinoa Breakfast Bake recipe in the back of the book. Think of this Quinoa Banana Chocolate Chip Breakfast Bake as a healthier version of banana chocolate chip bread. Even my kids who are not big fans of quinoa loved this.
- 1½ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained well
- 3 cups water
- dash salt
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring water to boil; add quinoa and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes until water is absorbed and quinoa is cooked. Remove lid and spoon quinoa into a large mixing bowl. Let cool. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup. Add to quinoa and mix well. Gently stir in mashed bananas and chocolate chips. Spoon into individual baking dishes or one large baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes until breakfast bake is set.
If you like this recipe, you might also like these recipes: