Mini Ham and Cheese Frittatas are perfect for school day breakfasts, afternoon snacks and breakfast buffets when entertaining guests. Who doesn’t love love bite-size foods, especially when you’re on the go, and need something quick to satisfy a rumbling tummy.
I’ve made these Mini Ham and Cheese Frittatas for church functions and weekday breakfast-on-the-go. If you’ve never made a frittata, give these mini frittatas a try.
Frittatas are basically an open-faced omelet that is baked in the oven. The base is made of eggs and the toppings are endless. Frittatas are the perfect way to use up extra vegetables.
This frittata recipe is perfect for on-the-go breakfasts for busy weekday mornings. It’s important to eat protein at breakfast, so these mini frittatas are a great way to start the day.
These mini ham and cheese frittatas can be ahead of time and reheated for breakfast. They just take a few minutes in the toaster oven or less than 30 seconds in a microwave to reheat.
Frittatas, like omelets, are a great way to sneak in some vegetables at breakfast. Little bits and pieces of red bell peppers, steamed broccoli, mushrooms, roasted asparagus or cauliflower would all be great in these mini frittatas. I added ham to the frittatas when I made them, but you could easily it out, or add chopped up chicken sausage.
I served a few of these Mini Ham and Cheese Frittatas with a small cup of Greek yogurt for a protein-packed breakfast.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup reduced salt uncured ham, chopped
- ⅓ cup shredded organic or non-RBST reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chives or scallions, finely chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme, Fines Herbes or your favorite dried herbs
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet with oil over medium heat. Add peppers and onions and saute until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add ham; saute 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- Combine cheese, chives, thyme, pepper, egg whites and whole eggs in a medium bowl; whisk together. Add pepper/onion/ham mixture and stir well.
- Spoon into 24 miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray (use a non-stick pan and be sure to spray the cups well to prevent sticking).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until set.
If you like these Mini Ham and Cheese Frittatas, you might also like:
Mini Asparagus Red Bell Pepper Ham Quiche