These Mexican Turkey Taco Meatloaf Muffins are packed with flavor and fun to eat.
Disclosure: I was asked to participate in the McCormick Gluten-Free Recipe Mixes Launch as a member of the Healthy Aperture Blogger Network. I received free samples of McCormick Gluten-Free Mixes from McCormick mentioned in this post. I was compensated for my time.
If you’ve been following my blog, you probably know that my youngest son has a thing for tacos and nachos. When I make nachos, I usually put some leftover taco meat on top. I think he likes not only the taco seasoning, but all the toppings.
Lately, I’ve noticed he’s been “too full” to finish his vegetables. Hmm…not sure if that’s true or if he’s just trying to avoid eating vegetables. This pre-teen stage is full of new challenges.
So, recently I resorted to my sneaky mom tricks and blended in lots of vegetables into these Mexican Turkey Taco Meatloaf Muffins. Not only are there carrots, celery and red bell pepper in these meatloaf muffins, but there’s also a whole pack of mushrooms. The trick is to chop these vegetables as finely as possible so they blend right into the meat mixture. I used my food processor which did this job easily. Not only do all these vegetables add more nutrition, but they pack extra flavor into these meatloaf muffins too.
The only seasoning I used was a pack of McCormick’s Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning Mix, a zesty blend of Mexican seasonings. I knew my son would gobble these meatloaf muffins up since he just adores anything that has the word “taco” in it. This taco seasoning is one of several gluten-free seasoning mixes McCormick recently came out with, which are certified by the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness. They’re made with the natural goodness of herbs and spices, and no MSG or artificial colors and flavors.
These meatloaf muffins are the perfect size for kids and reheat really nicely. I haven’t tried freezing them, but I bet they’d freeze well too.
Give these Mexican Turkey Taco Meatloaf Muffins a try – they’re moist and delicious, and full of flavor, plus your kids will be getting an extra serving of vegetables ;).
- 2 carrots, peeled, trimmed, cut into chunks
- 1 celery stalk, trimmed, cut into chunks
- 1 10-ounce pack mushrooms, stems removed and cleaned
- 1 medium onion, peeled, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pack McCormick Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup gluten-free quick oats
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup shredded cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Turn food processor on and feed carrots, celery, mushrooms, onion, and pepper through feeding tube. Process until vegetables are finely chopped, scraping down sides as necessary. You may have to pulse the food processor a few times towards the end to chop the remaining vegetable pieces.
- Heat oil in large skillet and add chopped vegetables. Saute until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Mix in taco seasoning. Let cool.
- Place turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add cooled vegetables, quick oats and egg. Mix well. Portion out into 12 muffin tins that have been lightly greased with oil. Spoon 2 teaspoons salsa on top of each meatloaf muffin and spread to cover tops.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until cooked through. Remove from oven and top with shredded cheese if desired; return to oven and bake another few minutes until cheese is melted.