This Light Jalapeño Popper Dip is a healthy addition to any Game Day spread. Check out the recipe for the secret ingredient. Sponsored by Peapod.
I remember the first time I bit into a jalapeño popper – it was so decadently cheesy, crusted with bread crumbs and just a bit spicy. Deep fried and stuffed with cheese, I can only imagine how many calories were in just one of those jalapeño poppers.
Super Bowl is just around the corner, so when Peapod asked me to create a recipe for them with a Super Bowl theme, I came up with this Light Jalapeño Popper Dip recipe, with all the flavors of a fried jalapeno popper, but lightened up, and in dip form.
I love recreating healthier versions of favorite football snacks and have made lighter versions over the years, including a Skinny Queso Cheese Guacamole Dip, Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip, Skinny Philly Cheesesteak Dip, and Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip. One of my favorite skinny tricks is to substitute pureed low-fat cottage cheese for cream cheese in dips. It might sound a little strange, but trust me, it works.
Flecks of pickled jalapeño pepper and roasted red bell pepper are scattered throughout this cheesy dip, which uses sharp cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese for best flavor. A crunchy breadcrumb topping mimics the crusted exterior of a fried stuffed jalapeño popper.
Don’t forget to check out Peapod.com for all your Super Bowl needs. Their online grocery delivery service is a huge time saver – in addition to your grocery needs, you can order party trays and paper goods for the big game.
Here are some more Game Day Appetizers I found on From The Pod’s recipe index.
- Spicy Baked Chicken Tenders with Secret Sauce
- Sweet Buffalo Shrimp
- Baked Crab Dip
- Chicken Jalapeño Popper Dip
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings
- Mini Game Day Cheesesteaks
- 2 cups (16 ounces) low-fat cottage cheese, pureed in a food processor
- 2 cups shredded light (reduced fat) sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeño peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup scallions, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup panko crumbs (for gluten-free version, process a few slices of gluten-free bread in food processor until crumbly)
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, jalapeño peppers, roasted red bell peppers and scallions. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Transfer to a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together panko crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper and olive oil. Sprinkle on top of dip. Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly and hot.
- Serve with assorted bell pepper strips or tortilla chips.
Disclosure: This blog post was sponsored by Peapod as part of my participation in their Ambassador program. All thoughts and opinions are my own.