This Lentil Kale Whole Grain Beet Winter Squash Mushroom Salad is packed with nutrient-dense Superfoods.
I made this Superfood Salad yesterday for my Women’s Bible Study group – it’s packed with seasonal, local, nutrient dense whole foods, free of pesticides, and rich in healthy fats. My CSA Box has been brimming with beets, butternut squash, onions and kale, so this salad was the perfect opportunity to showcase fresh local produce at its peak.
I recently started my first course in nutrition, and am having a blast. Although it’s been a really long time since I’ve taken any college level courses, it’s invigorating and I am excited about what’s to come.
This week, I have been reading The Nutrient Dense Eating Plan by Douglas L. Margel and listening to lectures on the environment, whole foods, different dietary systems and more. While it’s scary to think about the state of our current food system where pesticides are used, foods are genetically modified and processed, and disease is on the rise, the coursework is also invigorating and inspiring.
One page in the book that caught my eye this week was a list of high quality nutrient dense foods. This Superfood salad has lots of high quality nutrient dense foods:
- garlic (cooked with the lentils)
- leeks (cooked with the kale)
- onion (roasted with mushrooms)
- thyme (cooked with lentils and mushrooms)
- oregano (cooked with mushrooms)
- sage (cooked with lentils and mushrooms)
- extra virgin olive oil (used to roast beets and mushrooms)
- flaxseed oil
- whole grains (forbidden black rice and whole sorghum)
This Lentil Kale Whole Grain Beet Winter Squash Mushroom Salad is full of superfoods, many of which are on this list.
Lentil Kale Whole Grain Beet Winter Squash Mushroom Salad ~ http://jeanetteshealthyliving.com
- 2 cups cooked black lentils
- 2 cups cooked French green lentils
- 1 bunch chopped kale sauteed with leeks
- 1 butternut squash roasted, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 beets roasted beets, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup cooked black rice
- 1 cup cooked whole sorghum
- 2 cups roasted mushrooms and red onion
- 1 pomegranate seeds removed
- 1 orange juiced
- a few drizzles of flax seed oil
- a few drizzles of fig balsamic vinegar
- 1 few spoonfuls of Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toss all the ingredients together and season to taste with fresh orange juice, fig balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Recipe NotesUse local, organic ingredients where ever possible