This Kimchi Fried Forbidden Rice with Black Garlic is a one bowl meal packed with flavor.
I love one bowl meals for their convenience, especially ones that include whole grains, vegetables and protein with a spicy sauce. One of my favorite one bowl meals is Kimchi rice, topped with a fried egg. It’s pure comfort in a bowl. The kimchi fried rice I’m sharing today is a bit more exotic than your usual kimchi rice because it includes two unusual ingredients – forbidden rice and fermented black garlic.
- Forbidden Rice is a whole grain rice that’s black in color. It’s slightly nutty tasting and the grains cook tender in less than 30 minutes, turning a rich deep purple color. It’s said that this ancient grain was once eaten by the Emperors of China.
- Fermented Black Garlic is aged, fermented garlic. It has a fruity, sweet and earthy taste. The texture is very rich and has the consistency of soft dried fruit (similar to a dried date).
I’ve been wanting to try both of these ingredients for a while, so when I saw that this month’s Recipe Redux theme was “A New Ingredient for the New Year,” I knew it was time to figure out how best to showcase these two ingredients. Both of these ingredients made this kimchi fried rice more dramatic in appearance, and I think the fermented black garlic was a great addition, with its sweet and earthy flavors.
A fried egg on top is optional, but I highly recommend it. In my book, it’s what makes this dish complete. I’ve eaten this for breakfast, lunch and dinner and it always satisfies.
This recipe uses three fermented foods – kimchi, gochujang and black garlic, so it’s full of good-for-you, flavorful ingredients that support healthy digestion.
- 1½ tablespoon grapeseed or other flavorless oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 fresh shitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup kimchi, drained and chopped (reserve kimchi juice)
- 4 cups forbidden rice, cooked according to package directions, grains separated using your fingers
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free Korean red pepper paste (gochujang)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 fermented garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 4 eggs
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and mushrooms, and stir until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add kimchi and saute a minute; add rice, red pepper paste and reserved kimchi juice (~ 2 tablespoons). Toss well, cooking until rice is warmed through. Add sesame oil, fermented garlic, scallions and toss again. Divide rice among four bowls.
- Fry eggs and place one egg on top of each rice bowl. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.