Today, Alex is making one of his favorite dips – Roasted Corn, Avocado and Black Bean Salsa. I’ve been making this as a healthy snack over the past year, so I’m thrilled that Alex learned how to make it himself.
This salsa is perfect as a summer appetizer, after-school snack, or on top of grilled chicken or fish. It’s full of Power Foods – black beans, avocados, and red bell pepper, and full of flavor with cilantro, cumin, coriander, and jalapeno peppers.
To see more videos my boys have been busy making, check out our Kids Cooking page.
In addition to cooking videos, Alex has a bunch of fun videos that he’s made (all by himself) featuring his duck, Steve Jobs. They’re fun kid videos – Steve Jobs Life Cycle (Fictional Story), Steve Jobs the Duck, Steve Jobs and 1+1, The Magical Steve Jobs Commercial, and the 8 Ducks of Luck Movie Trailer. Can you tell that Alex likes ducks?
Roasted Corn, Black Bean and Avocado Salsa
- 1 cup corn or 1 cob of corn
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans or one 15-ounce can
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 scallion minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh jalapeno pepper minced
- juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- To roast corn kernels, place corn kernels and 2 teaspoons olive oil in a cast iron pan. Cook on medium heat until corn turns light brown and caramelizes. Alternatively, if using corn on the cob, corn can be roasted on the grill.
- Mix all ingredients together. Chill before serving.
This post has been linked up to Tidy Mom’s I’m Lovin’ It and Beyond the Peel’s Keep It Real Thursday.