Kale Basil Pistachio Garlic Scape Pesto is a great way to enjoy in-season farmer’s market produce. I remember the first time I tasted pesto many years ago. Just a spoonful of pesto packs a flavorful aromatic punch to any dish. Traditional pesto is made with basil and pine nuts, but I love adding leafy green vegetables and switching up the nuts in my pesto.
One of my favorite past times during the summer is going to our local farmer’s market. As the summer progresses, the variety of produce expands. I look forward to seeing bunches of garlic scapes at the market so I can make Garlic Scape Paste, which I store in my refrigerator for stir-fries and this Kale Basil Pistachio Garlic Scape Pesto.
Although traditional pesto is made with basil, I’ve found almost any leafy green vegetable works well in combination with basil – whether it’s kale, Swiss chard or beet greens. Garlic Scape Paste makes a great alternative to garlic, and pistachios are a nice change from pine nuts.
5 Ways To Use Kale Basil Pistachio Garlic Scape Pesto
Pesto is a versatile sauce that can be used in many different ways. Make a batch and store in the refrigerator for a week.
- Stir a few spoonfuls of Kale Basil Pistachio Garlic Scape Pesto into a bowl of hot pasta or cold pasta salad. I love adding fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese and sometimes leftover grilled chicken
- Thin out some of this pesto with olive oil and drizzle over a fresh tomato mozzarella cheese platter
- Spread some of this pesto on a sandwich (fresh tomato and mozzarella is a favorite)
- Stir some of this pesto into hummus
- Serve this pesto with grilled chicken or fish
Kale Basil Pistachio Garlic Scape Pesto
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 bunch garlic scapes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pistachios toasted
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
Strip kale leaves off stems and wash well. Bring pot of water to a boil and blanch kale leaves for 30 seconds; remove to a bowl of cold water to cool down. Squeeze kale dry with hands.
Place kale, basil, garlic and hazelnuts in food processor. Process, adding oil through feeder tube, until mixture is finely ground. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
More Kale Pesto Recipes: