This Healthy Bacon Egg Potato Breakfast Casserole is a lightened up version of a traditional Amish breakfast casserole, and is perfect for brunch or dinner; leftovers can be heated up for breakfast.
Is it possible to say bacon, potato and casserole in the same sentence and think it’s healthy? Today’s recipe for a Healthy Bacon Egg Potato Casserole is based on a classic Amish country style breakfast classic that’s typically loaded with cheese and made with regular pork bacon.
I’ve taken this basic recipe and packed it with vegetables, lightened it up with low-fat cheese, non-fat cottage cheese and lean turkey bacon. Served on a bed of baby kale, it makes the perfect brunch that’s not only comforting, but healthy too.
I made this for the boys for brunch recently and they loved it. It’s hearty and packed with protein, so your belly will stay full longer. If you have extras, just cut the rest into individual portions for easy reheating.
Today, I’m participating in Food Network’s Comfort Food Feast event where Potatoes are being featured. Please be sure to check out what my fellow foodie friends made this week:
The Heritage Cook: Potato, Bacon, Green Chiles and Cheese Casserole
Feed Me Phoebe: Bangers and Spinach Mash with Cider Onions
Dishin & Dishes: Sweet and Savory Potato Stacks
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Potato-Chickpea Masala with Cilantro Chutney
Weelicious: Potato Fans
Haute Apple Pie: Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Taste With The Eyes: Truffled Poached Egg, Asparagus and Truffle Vinaigrette, Black Truffle and Potato Stack
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Warm Pan Fried Potatoes and Greens Salad
Red or Green: Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Chipotle
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Crispy Oven Fries
The Sensitive Epicure: Healthier Twice Baked Potato Skins
Elephants and the Coconut Tress: Indian Spiced Potatoes
Virtually Homemade: Bacon Parmesan Hasselback Potatoes
Devour: Mashed Potatoes, Reinvented
FN Dish: 10 Potato Picks (Recipes)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (~ 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (~ 1 cup)
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 strips uncured antibiotic free turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Fines Herbes or other herb blend
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup non-fat cottage cheese, pureed in food processor
- 1 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups shredded Yukon gold potatoes
- 9 cups baby kale
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and saute onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, bacon and Fines Herbes until onions are translucent. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, cottage cheese and cheddar cheese. Stir in shredded potatoes. Add sauteed bacon and vegetables. Spoon into lightly greased 9x9 square dish.
- Bake 45 minutes until casserole is firm.
- Serve on bed of baby kale.
230 calories, 17 g protein, 8 g fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 350% vitamin A, 90% vitamin C, 20% calcium, 15% iron.