Hi, this is Kyle on Kids Cooking. Today, I’m going to show you how to make some Guacamole Salsa. It’s made exactly how it sounds, by combining the best elements of my two favorite dips, guacamole and salsa. Not only is Guacamole Salsa delicious, it’s also great as a cool-down snack after a long, hot summer day.
I found that the best way to make the Guacamole Salsa was to prepare all of the ingredients well in advance, and then mix it all together.
It took me a while to prep all the ingredients because I’m new to cooking, but I’m getting a little better each time I cook.
The first thing you do is mash together the avocados and lemon juice until it’s nice and smooth. Consistency is key.
Next, carefully mix in the salt, cayenne, and ground cumin.
Then, add in the diced onions.
Next, mix in the diced tomatoes…
Or at least try to. It wouldn’t all fit in the mortar, so I scooped everything into a larger bowl and added the rest of the ingredients – tomatoes, garlic, and cilantro.
Now, the best part…time to dig in. Well, usually it’s the best part, except my three brothers and my dad appeared to have other ideas. They seemingly scraped the entire bowl clean in a matter of seconds, leaving only a small spoonful of Guacamole Salsa and a few measly tortilla chip bits in their wake. Now I know how Mom feels when we gobble up her delicately made French macaroons like movie theater popcorn, and then complain when we realize that she didn’t make more.
Anyways, it’s great as an afternoon snack, football snack, or in this case, something to tide us over until Mom was done making dinner.
- 2 large avocados
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon cayenne, depending on how spicy you like it
- ½ medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Cut avocados in half. Stick a knife in the seed and give it a twist to loosen seed. Pull out the seed using the knife. Use a spoon to scoop out the avocado flesh. Place avocado and lime juice in a mortar and pestle and mash until smooth.
- Add salt, cumin and cayenne and mash until well combined with avocado.
- Add onions and mix to combine.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro and garlic, and mix well.
- Serve with tortilla chips.