Recently, I came across a recipe for a gluten-free blueberry cobbler at our local natural foods store that looked and sounded amazing.
However, the cobbler topping used four eggs, along with coconut flour, so I thought of making a blueberry crisp instead due to an egg allergy in our family.
So far, my experience baking egg-free with coconut flour has not gone so well. Most recipes using coconut flour require a lot of eggs, and whenever I have tried substituting flax seed and water, or egg replacer for the eggs, the results have been grainy and wet. I have heard that it is difficult to substitute more than two eggs in most baking recipes, so perhaps this is the reason I haven’t had much success baking egg-free with coconut flour.
The crisp topping was simple enough to make, calling only for Kelapo Coconut Oil, brown sugar and flour. To make this topping gluten-free and a bit healthier, I made two versions of the crisp topping, one made with Gluten-Free Flour Mixand the other made with Quinoa Flakes.
When I make apple crisp, I usually use oats in the crisp topping. Since my son is allergic to oats, I used quinoa flakes, which I have had good success with as a substitute for oats in cookies and granola bars. Instead of brown sugar, I used jaggery, an unrefined sugar commonly used in Indian dishes, which has a moist texture like brown sugar (I found this during a recent visit to a new Indian grocery store).
Kelapo is offering a 20% discount through June 25th for my readers. Just enter Jeanette20 (case-sensitive) as the discount code when you place your order.
Gluten/Dairy/Egg-Free Blueberry Crisp
|Gluten/Dairy/Egg-Free Blueberry Crisp (made with Gluten-Free Flour Mix)|
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons organic unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ground jaggery or unrefined coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
Crisp Topping Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons ground jaggery or unrefined coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup Quinoa Flakes or Gluten-Free Flour Mix
- ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix blueberries, applesauce, vanilla extract and jaggery together in a bowl. Let stand a few minutes, then in mix in arrowroot starch.
- Divide among 4 small ramekins (I used 3″ ramekins).
- Make Crisp Topping by combining coconut oil, jaggery and Quinoa Flakes or Gluten-Free Flour Mix until crumbly. Spoon on top of blueberries in ramekins. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake until nicely browned on top, about 15-17 minutes. Check after 15 minutes. If top starts to brown too quickly, cover with a piece of foil.
For more recipes using Kelapo Coconut Oil, visit We’re Coconuts!
This recipe has been submitted to “Get Grillin’ with Family Fresh Cooking and Cookin’ Canuck, sponsored by Ile de France Cheese, Rösle, Emile Henry, Rouxbe and ManPans.
More Gluten-Free Fruit Crisp/Crumble Recipes:
Gluten-Free Girl’s Apricot and Blueberry Crumble
Oklahoma’s Own Gluten Free Peach and Blueberry Crisp and Spiced-Pecan Topping
The Sensitive Pantry’s Peach Berry Crisp
Celiac Chick’s Apple Cranberry Crisp
The Joy of Mindful Cooking’s Organic Apple-Blueberry Crisp
Information on Coconuts:
U.S. News and World Report: Does Coconut Oil and Coconut Water Provide Health Benefits?
eHow: Nutritional Benefits of Coconut