These Gluten-Free Spicy Baked Chicken Tenders with Secret Sauce are a healthy version of everyone’s favorite chicken tenders. Sponsored by Peapod.
Who doesn’t love chicken tenders. Today’s recipe features a spicy version of a childhood favorite served with my son’s “secret sauce.” We developed this recipe for Peapod, America’s leading online grocer, which features over 8,000 products.
What makes these chicken strips so good? First of all, they’re soaked overnight in seasoned buttermilk, which helps tenderize the chicken and lets the Frank’s hot sauce sink in. Second, they are double dipped, first in cornstarch, then in Cajun spiced almond flour, to ensure a flavorful, crunchy coating. Third, the secret sauce is the perfect compliment to these slightly spicy chicken tenders.
The Secret Sauce is my son’s creation. He loves coming up with all different concoctions and I encourage him to be creative in the kitchen. This secret sauce is sweet, tangy and just a touch spicy.
Our recipe for these Gluten-Free Spicy Baked Chicken Tenders with Secret Sauce – creole seasoning spices up these chicken tenders and the sweet and tangy secret sauce is the perfect way to cool them down is featured on Peapod’s recipe site. You can easily order the ingredients for this recipe (and any recipe on their site) using Peapod’s ExpressShop feature. The ExpressShop feature automatically lists the ingredients needed for each recipe to make it easy for you to shop.
Your shopping cart shows a running total of the bill as you shop so it’s easy to stick to your budget. Peapod also has weekly Specials and doubles manufacturer’s coupons for additional savings (to use coupons, simply give your driver any coupons and your order number in a sealed envelope upon delivery. The price difference will be credited back to your form of payment).
Orders can be placed seven days a week for delivery as soon as the next day or two weeks in advance. You choose a two-hour window that is convenient for your schedule.
Peapod is offering a $20 discount on your first order of $100 or more (enter the coupon code PEASPOD20 at checkout). You can also sign up for a 60 day free delivery trial on Peapod.com (normal delivery charges are $9.95 for orders $60-$100; $6.95 for orders over $100).
I saved $46 on a recent order of $118 with the 20% discount, free delivery and weekly specials :).
For more recipes, check out Peapod’s recipe site.
- 1½ pounds antibiotic-free boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- ¼ cup Frank's Original RedHot Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- olive oil cooking spray
- ⅔ cup light mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons light sour cream
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 teaspoons organic ketchup
- 4 teaspoons organic barbecue sauce
- 1½ teaspoon Frank's Original RedHot Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- a few dashes or paprika for color, optional
- Cut chicken breast into 1" wide strips. Mix together buttermilk and hot sauce in a dish; add chicken strips, toss well, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place cornstarch in a dish. Break eggs into another dish and beat lightly. Mix together almond flour, Cajun seasoning, paprika and garlic powder in a third dish.
- Remove chicken strips from buttermilk mixture and wipe off excess liquid; lightly coat with cornstarch. Dip in egg, letting excess egg drip off; lightly coat with almond flour mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet that has been lined with aluminum foil and lightly oiled. Continue with rest of chicken strips. Spray tops of chicken strips with cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, honey, ketchup, barbecue sauce, hot sauce and paprika. Serve with chicken tenders.
Disclosure: This blog post was sponsored by Peapod as part of my participation in their Ambassador program. All thoughts and opinions are my own.