These Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Cookies are full of sugar, spice and everything nice.
Today, I’m baking a difference to help raise awareness about childhood cancer. Did you know that cancer is the number one cause of death by disease of children in the U.S.? Even so, less than 4% of the National Cancer Institute’s budget goes to all childhood cancers combined. Cookies for Kids’ Cancer, a non-profit organization, raises funds for research to develop new, improved treatments for pediatric cancer. Funds are granted to five of the nation’s leading childhood cancer research centers to find less toxic, more effective treatments.
One of my friends lost her son to cancer at the age of eleven, and I can never imagine the pain and suffering she and her family went through and continue to go through each and every day.
To help spread the word about childhood cancer and the need for research funding, OXO asked me to share a cookie recipe. They are donating up to $100,000 to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer through specially marked baking tools, bake sale matches and other fundraising efforts. For this blog post and others supporting this cause, they’re donating $100 to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. You can get involved too! As Cookies for Kids’ Cancer says ~ Everyone can Be a Good Cookie™. Whether you host a bake sale, organize a cookie swap, or make a donation.
You can also help by buying specially marked OXO products with the Cookies for Kids’ Cancer logo. For every stickered item sold, OXO will donate 25 cents in support of pediatric cancer research as part of its $100,000* pledge to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer), we can all help raise awareness to help fight childhood cancer.
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/4 cup 5.3 ounces gluten-free oat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin spice blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup organic butter softened
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- organic powdered sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix together ground flax seed and water; set aside. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar; add pumpkin puree, flax seed mixture, and vanilla, and mix well. Add dry ingredients. Scoop onto Silplat lined baking sheet (or use parchment paper). Bake 15-16 minutes. Let cool; gently use spatula to transfer cookies to a plate. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar, if desired.
Recipe NotesAdapted from allrecipes.com
I received a Drop Cookie Set for my participation in this campaign; OXO will be donating $100 to Cookies for Kids’ Cancer for this blog post.