I know what you’re thinking…what are chicken nuggets doing on a healthy living blog. Well, for all you football fans, Super Bowl Sunday is this weekend, and buffalo wings are one of the most popular foods that are eaten that day. In fact, according to the National Chicken Council, Americans are expected to eat 1.25 billion chicken wings (that’s 100 million pounds!) over Super Bowl weekend. Also, did you know that Super Bowl Sunday is the second biggest eating day of the year after Thanksgiving?
So, I’m posting this healthier Buffalo Chicken Nuggets recipe for all of you who want to get your Buffalo Chicken Wing fix without all the calories. These chicken nuggets are made with boneless chicken breast marinated in hot sauce, then they are coated with light crispy gluten-free crumbs and baked, so you will get all the flavor you expect in Buffalo wings without the guilt.
I’ve tried different store-bought gluten-free breadcrumbs over the past year but haven’t really found too many I’ve liked. I like a lighter coating that can be baked with good results, so I’ve been making my own breadcrumbs from gluten-free bread ends, crushed crispy rice cereal and cornflakes.
Recently, Mary’s Gone Crackers sent me a box of gluten-free goodies to try out, including their gluten-free Savory Crumbs, made with organic, gluten-free, vegan, non-GMO brown rice, quinoa, flax seeds and sesame seeds. These crumbs are made with the same ingredients as their crackers and, unlike bread crumbs, are flaky and very light.
This weekend, I tried the Savory Crumbs as a coating for these Gluten-Free Buffalo Chicken Nuggets and my little guy loved them. I only used 1 tablespoon of hot sauce in the first batch, and found it wasn’t flavorful enough, so I doubled the amount of hot sauce in the next batch. My boys enjoyed these little chicken nuggets with honey mustard (2 parts honey to one part dijon mustard), but if you like, try serving them with my healthier blue cheese dressing or Adventures of a Gluten-Free Mom’s dairy-free ranch dressing.
Today, I have a giveaway from Mary’s Gone Crackers, which includes an assortment of their crackers, pretzels, cookies and a jar of crumbs.
My 9-year old has served as the taste tester for the assortment of goodies that Mary’s Gone Crackers sent us, and so far his favorites have been the Onion Crackers, Chipotle Tomato Pretzels, ‘N’ Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, and Savory Crumbs. What I like about Mary’s Gone Crackers’ product line is that everything is baked using whole ingredients like quinoa, amaranth, millet, chia seeds, flax seeds and sesame seeds.
Giveaway Details: THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED. Thanks for your participation!
One winner will receive a box of assorted Mary’s Gone Crackers products, including 3 boxes each of crackers, pretzels, and cookies and one container of crumbs. No purchase necessary, void where prohibited. US Residents only. Must be over 18. Giveaway will end on February 7, 2012 at 11:59PM EST. One winner with a valid entry will be selected at random using random.org. Winner will be notified by email and will have up to 3 days to claim their prize or another winner will be selected.
How To Enter:
Required Entry: For a chance to win, leave a comment below along with your email address so I can contact you if you win.
You can earn up to six additional entries by doing any of the following. Be sure to leave a separate comment for each additional entry so I know you did it:
- Like me and Mary’s Gone Crackers on Facebook
- Follow me and Mary’s Gone Crackers on Twitter
- Follow me on Pinterest and pin this post
- Stumble this post and follow me @JeanettesHealth on Stumbleupon
- Sign up for my Email or RSS Feeds
- Tweet this giveaway, being sure to include my Twitter handle (@JeanettesHealth)
* If you already follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and/or Stumbleupon, and/or already subscribe to Jeanette’s Healthy Living, let me know as well, since this counts as an entry.
Disclosure: I was provided with samples of Mary’s Gone Crackers products for the purpose of doing a review and giveaway. However the opinions expressed in this post are my own.
- 3 boneless chicken breasts (about 1.7 pounds), cut into 1½" square pieces
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (I used Frank's Redhot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce, which is gluten-free)
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1½ cups gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Marinade chicken in hot sauce, lemon juice, garlic powder, and onion powder for at least two hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg, then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Lightly spray baking sheet with cooking oil.
- Place chicken pieces on baking sheet. Lightly spray tops of chicken pieces with cooking oil.
- Bake chicken pieces for 10-15 minutes until cooked through (baking time will depend on how thick your pieces are).