Georgian Spinach Walnut Dip is a traditional dish from the country of Georgia. It can be served as a dip or made into small balls for a fun presentation.
Georgian Spinach Walnut Dip contains heart-healthy walnuts and nutrient rich spinach, so it’s a very healthy dish, with no added oil.
My husband and I were treated to a traditional Georgian feast a number of years ago. I became obsessed with the Georgian Spinach Walnut Dip that we had that special evening. Although I cannot replicate the exact Spinach Walnut Balls we had that evening, these are mighty good. This traditional Georgian dish is also served as a dip.
Spinach Walnut Balls
- 2 bunches fresh spinach about 1 pound, stems trimmed, rinsed well
- 1/3 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 1/2 small onion finely minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro minced
- 1/8 teaspoon fenugreek powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- dash of cayenne powder
- 2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- salt to taste
- pomegranate seeds for garnish
- fresh chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add spinach leaves and cook until just tender, about 1 minute. Let cool, then squeeze dry. Place in a food processor and process until finely chopped, but not overly pureed.
- Combine walnuts, onion, garlic, cilantro, fenugreek powder, coriander powder, cayenne, tarragon vinegar and water in a medium bowl. Add chopped spinach and mix well. Season to taste with a little salt.
- Cover and refrigerate for 6-8 hours to let flavors melt together.
- Use a spoon to scoop out little balls of spinach walnut dip. Form round balls, make an indentation in the center.
- Place a few pomegranate seeds in the indentation and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro or parsley
For added fragrance and flavor, I pan toasted whole coriander seeds and ground them.
Georgian Food and Pkhali Recipes:
An Overview of Georgian Cuisine, Uncornered Market
Spinach pkhali (dip), Los Angeles Times, adapted from a recipe in “Please to the Table” by Anya von Bremzen
Eggplant Pkhali, Ashbury’s Aubergines Eggplant Recipes