Last week, I made this Fresh Berry Green Salad with Pomegranate Meyer Lemon Salad Dressing for a Ladies’ Church Luncheon. Every year, we have this luncheon just before Christmas and it’s always a festive occasion to catch up with so many wonderful women. I always try to make a festive looking salad for this luncheon to reflect the joy that I hope this holiday season brings to everyone.
I had picked up a box of Meyer lemons from Costco’s and was looking forward to trying them out in a bunch of recipes. Meyer lemons are fragrant. Their skin is bright yellow, and their juice is sweeter, not as sour as lemons. The skin of the Meyer lemon is also edible.
Since I had a fruity green salad in mind, I decided to try making a pomegranate salad dressing, using Meyer lemon juice to add some acidity. Rounded out with a bit of honey, this Pomegranate Meyer Lemon Salad Dressing was fresh, juicy tasting and refreshing, perfect with the Fresh Berry Green Salad. I cut up a Meyer lemon and added it to the salad, along with a sprinkling of toasted almonds to add some crunch to this simple, but festive salad.
I was glad I made this green salad for the luncheon. As it turns out, there were a few women who attended who could not eat dairy, so this antioxidant rich salad was all they could eat. With lots of fresh blueberries, raspberries, pomegranate seeds and almonds, this salad didn’t look like a plain old green salad. It was just festive enough for this holiday luncheon.
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- 1 Meyer lemon, juiced, seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup (for vegans)
- ¼ cup light olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 large handfuls of mixed baby greens
- 1 Meyer lemon, seeded, thinly sliced, then quartered
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 box blueberries
- 1 box raspberries
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Whisk all Pomegranate Meyer Lemon Salad Dressing ingredients together.
- Fresh Berry Green Salad
- Toss all Fresh Berry Green Salad ingredients together.
- Drizzle Pomegranate Meyer Lemon Salad Dressing on top, just enough to dress lightly, and toss. Serve immediately.