Crockpot Shredded Hawaiian Chicken Tacos will transport you to a tropical island. The sweet and tangy slow cooked chicken filling falls apart and is so tender and juicy. You can also serve this shredded Hawaiian chicken filling on a bun with cabbage slaw, or in a rice bowl. Sponsored by Peapod.
Is anyone reminiscing about their summer vacation? Now that the weather is turning cooler, I am trying to hold onto the sparse warm weather days that we’ve been getting lately.
One of my favorite places to vacation is Hawaii. It’s my idea of a tropical paradise. This Crockpot Shredded Hawaiian Chicken reminds me of a dish you might find at a luau buffet. It’s sweet and sour, and tropical.
I created these slow cooker Hawaiian chicken tacos for Peapod, which is perfect during busy weeknights because it just simmers away while you’re running errands or driving the kids to their after-school activities. This shredded chicken recipe can be made ahead of time and reheated too, which is always a win-win.
Serving Crockpot Shredded Hawaiian Chicken
Kids love tacos, so this shredded Hawaiian chicken can be used as a filling for tacos. The pineapple red pepper salsa topping is a nice compliment, adding some nice freshness and contrast to the shredded chicken.
This crockpot shredded Hawaiian chicken taco filling is versatile too. You can also serve it on a bun with some cabbage slaw, similar to a pulled pork sandwich. Or, make a rice bowl with shredded Hawaiian chicken on top and your favorite vegetables.
I served these crockpot shredded Hawaiian chicken tacos to my sister-in-law and her husband recently, and they loved how flavorful the filling was.
Crockpot Shredded Hawaiian Chicken Tacos
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 ounces can crushed pineapple in 100% pineapple juice 20
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 1/2 cup organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup
- 1/3 cup organic brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water
Pineapple Red Pepper Salsa
- 1 cup fresh pineapple diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro minced
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 16 taco size whole grain tortillas
Place chicken in slow cooker along with onion, garlic, ginger, pineapple, soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, until chicken is soft. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker.
- Mix together cornstarch and water in a small bowl and stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes, until thickened.
- In a medium bowl, mix together pineapple, red bell pepper, red onion, cilantro and lime juice.
Heat tortillas over direct flame on gas cook top or in a large skillet. Keep warm in a cloth towel.
To serve, spoon some Hawaiian Chicken on top of corn tortilla and top with PIneapple Red Pepper Salsa.
More slow cooker recipes on From The Pod:
Slow Cooker Chicken and Swiss Chard Enchilada Pie
Slow Cooker Black Bean Pumpkin Turkey Chili
Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken Stew
Disclosure: This blog post was sponsored by Peapod as part of my participation in their Ambassador program. All thoughts and opinions are my own.