I’ve been playing around with creamless creamy soups the past few weeks, including a creamless Creamy Mushroom Soup, Creamy Cauliflower Soup, and Thai Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. To add to this collection of creamless creamy soups, I tried a Cream of Carrot Soup.
Creamless Cream of Carrot Soup
The honey definitely rounds out the flavor in this soup. If you like, add a little curry powder.
- 2 pounds baby carrots
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons honey or 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons light coconut milk
- Place carrots, broth, onion, thyme, bay leaf, allspice and turmeric in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook on low, covered, until carrots are tender, about 25-30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Puree soup in blender in batches until smooth. Return pureed soup to pot and stir in honey. Serve in bowls, topped with a spoonful of coconut milk swirled in.
More Carrot Soups:
Carrot Soup, 101 Cookbooks
Carrot Soup: The Original Moosewood Recipe, Slashfood
Baby Carrot Soup, The Stone Soup
Curried Carrot Soup with Pan Toasted Cornbread Croutons, Gluten-Free Goddess
Carrot Ginger Soup, Andrea Meyers
Fiesta Jalapeno Carrot Ginger Soup, Healthy Happy Life