This Cranberry Apple Chutney Pecan Brie Appetizer makes an elegant addition to any Christmas holiday menu.
Cheese platters are very popular during the holiday season, so, recently, I brought a special cheese platter to our women’s ministry Christmas party at Grace Farms. The cranberry chutney is easy to make, and it takes almost no time to assemble this beautiful cheese appetizer.
I made this for a crowd, so I used a large wheel of Brie (from Costco’s), but you can certainly use the smaller, regular size Brie.
It’s best to cut the brie when it’s cold. I also cut off the rind from the top of the brie before spreading some of the cranberry apple chutney on top (you don’t have to do this, but I didn’t think most folks would like all that rind). A sprinkling of toasted pecans adds some nice crunch. Serve this Cranberry Chutney Pecan Brie Appetizer at room temperature, or if you like the brie a little melted, you can microwave it on the low setting (defrost setting) for a few minutes. Don’t overdo it or you will end up with a hot mess.
For a truly festive cheese platter, pair this brie appetizer with my Cranberry Pistachio Mint Goat Cheese Appetizer, another super easy to assemble appetizer.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup organic brown sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1½ cups fresh cranberries
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, diced
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, minced
- 1 wheel brie
- toasted pecans
- mint, for garnish
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat; add shallot, ginger and salt; saute until shallots are just softened, a few minutes.
- Add sugar, water and vinegar; simmer until sugar dissolves; add cranberries and apples and return to simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until cranberries burst and mixture is thickened, about 10 minutes. Add crystallized ginger and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Using a large sharp knife, slice brie in half horizontally. Cut off rind on top of brie. Spread a thin layer of Cranberry Apple Chutney on top of bottom half of brie; place other half on top; spread another layer of Cranberry Apple Chutney on top. Sprinkle with toasted pecans.
- Serve with apple slices and crackers.