This Collection of Pureed Soups is perfect for those having difficulty chewing and swallowing.
Not only are Pureed Soups pure comfort food, but they’re also perfect for anyone on a liquid diet or a pureed/soft food diet. Whether you’re recovering from a cold, wisdom tooth extraction or dental surgery, or having trouble swallowing, pureed soups are the perfect medium for making sure you get a nutritious meal even when you’re not feeling at your best.
Recently, I made some pureed soups for a friend who is fighting cancer. She’s a true cancer warrior, holding down a job, while attending school and taking care of her family. I continue to be amazed by her ability to juggle so much while battling cancer. It makes me appreciate all that I have and helps put life in perspective. Often I find myself getting caught up in my own daily challenges, and when I witness the strength and determination of my friends and others who are battling cancer, I am humbled and realize that my daily challenges are nothing in comparison. One of the ways that helps me take the focus off of myself is by cooking for others.
My cancer warrior friend is currently on a liquid/pureed food diet which can be tricky day in and day out. Pureed foods can be bland and uninteresting after a few spoonfuls. Eating should be enjoyable, and even when you’re on a liquid/pureed food diet, it’s possible to prepare a meal to look forward to.
My goal was to make soups that contain anti-cancer ingredients and provide nutritious, satisfying, and comforting meals for my friend. I made a variety, each with a different twist – Curried Cauliflower Potato Soup, Creamy Cannellini Bean Soup, and Creamy Carrot Soup with Coconut Milk. The key to serving an otherwise bland looking soup is to add a touch of color on top. I made some Roasted Red Pepper Sauce and Spinach Pesto to compliment the Curried Cauliflower Potato and Cannellini Bean Soups. The Creamy Carrot Soup was vibrant orange on its own, and the coconut milk and honey add sweetness and a luscious mouth feel without any additional toppings.
I hope my friend enjoys these soups and I pray for her complete healing.
Creamy Cannellini Bean (White Bean) Soup
Creamy Cannellini Bean Soup
- 1 1/2 cups or one 14-ounce can <g class="gr_ gr_336 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="336" data-gr-id="336">cooked</g> cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon sage
- Spinach Basil Pesto for garnish
- Put all ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook on low, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Puree in blender.
Curried Cauliflower Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 head cauliflower, cut up
- 1 russet potato, cut into ½” pieces
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- Roasted Red Pepper Puree, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large stock pot. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder and turmeric. Saute for 3-4 minutes until onion is translucent and curry is fragrant. Add cauliflower potato, and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook covered, on low heat for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Blend in a blender or use a stick blender to puree soup.
Here are some broths and other pureed soups I’ve made:
Creamless Cream of Carrot Soup
Thai Curried Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Creamless Cream of Cauliflower Soup
Creamless Cream of Mushroom Soup
Creamless Cream of Tomato Soup (leave out the pasta)
Creamy Kabocha Soup with Lemongrass
Cuban Black Bean Soup
Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
Thai Coconut Curry Lentil Soup (pureed)
Bella’s Carrot, Orange and Fennel Soup
White Bean with Cauliflower Soup
Smoothies are another great way to get nutrition on a liquid diet or pureed food diet:
A Healthy Healing Fruit Smoothie
Beginner Green Smoothie
Mango Coconut Smoothie
Mango Pineapple Smoothie
Yummy Fruit Smoothie
Anti-Cancer Ingredients: Cauliflower, Legumes, Carrots, Onion, Garlic, Turmeric