Gluten-Free Chocolate Oatmeal Pancakes are the ultimate breakfast treat, with rich dark chocolate flavor. Sponsored by The Hershey Company.
Today, I’ve got a special treat for you ~ Gluten-Free Chocolate Oatmeal Pancakes, inspired by a recent visit to The Hershey Company. A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to immerse myself in the world of Hershey. For those of you who aren’t familiar with The Hershey Company, it’s one of the oldest chocolate manufacturers in the U.S. (founded in 1894 by Milton Hershey) and is located in Hershey, Pennsylvania. I fondly remember visiting Hershey when I was a kid and was excited at the prospect of having my kids have some fun at Hersheypark, while I learned about the backroom operations and The Hershey Company’s corporate initiatives.
What struck me most during my visit was the rich history behind The Hershey Company, and the legacy that its founder, Milton Hershey, left behind. As a kid, my memories are full of Hershey’s Kisses candies and all things chocolate. So, learning about the man, Milton Hershey, his philanthropic work, the Milton Hershey School, how ingredients are sourced, the strides the company is making to reduce waste at its manufacturing facilities, and recent initiatives like the Hershey Learn To Grow initiative and Project Peanut Butter in Ghana were all new to me.
Not only were we treated to an inside look at the Technical Center and able to pepper a panel of experts with questions, but we did a chocolate tasting to get a feel for the differences in chocolate depending on the country of origin, created our own artisan chocolate bars, learned about the process of making caramels and experienced Hershey’s Great American Chocolate Tour (I felt like a kid again).
I made a special video just so you can see what I experienced during my day at Hershey. Watch the video to get a behind-the-scenes look at the Technical Center, the chocolate tasting, Hershey’s test kitchen, and more. Don’t miss the fun clip at the end of the video of our ride at Hershey’s Chocolate World Attraction.
I’m looking forward to sharing more about The Hershey Company in future post particularly around the company’s sustainability efforts as well as their gluten-free products (hopefully in time for holiday baking).
Meanwhile, enjoy these Gluten-Free Chocolate Oatmeal Pancakes. I made these for my kids for breakfast as a special treat – they didn’t even suspect that I snuck in some healthy whole grains and a serving of fruit ;).
- 1 cup gluten-free quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup low-fat milk or non-dairy milk
- 4 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 4 tablespoons gluten-free flour mix
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- fresh strawberries tossed a little organic sugar
- fresh whipped organic cream lightly sweetened with organic sugar
- Place oatmeal and milk in microwaveable glass measuring cup or bowl. Microwave 2 minutes; let cool. Stir in coconut oil, eggs, cocoa, gluten-free flour mix, baking powder and maple syrup. If mixture is too thick, thin with a little extra milk.
- Heat skillet on medium heat and lightly grease with coconut oil. Scoop batter onto pan and cook on both sides until browned. Pancakes brown quickly, so turn the heat down to medium-low as soon as you put the batter into the pan.
- Serve with strawberries and whipped cream on top, if desired.
Disclosure: This blog post and my trip to Hershey, PA were sponsored by The Hershey Company as part of my participation in their Food Ambassador program. All thoughts and opinions are my own.