This Chinese Black Bean Chili Sauce is an authentic Chinese condiment that is delicious served with Chinese dumplings.
My kids love Chinese dumplings and always eat them with some sort of Chinese dipping sauce. The simplest sauce I make is a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil and vinegar. I serve Chinese hot chili bean paste on the side to stir in for anyone who wants a little spiciness.
Recently, when I made dumplings for lunch, I had run out of hot chili bean paste, and dug up this recipe for Chinese Black Bean Chili Sauce from one of my aunt’s cookbooks. I hadn’t made it in years, but fondly remembered it. It’s made with Chinese fermented salted black beans, a condiment you’ll find in an Asian grocery store. Fermented salted black beans are nothing like the black beans you’ll find in a regular supermarket.
The fermented salted black beans must be rinsed well and drained before using as they are very salty. The recipe itself is very easy to make, and the results are well worth it.
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 2 teaspoons organic sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons fermented, salted black beans, rinsed and rained
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, sherry , sugar, salt, water and scallions.
- In a small saucepan, heat oil, then add black beans and chili pepper flakes; cook for one minutes; stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in soy sauce mixture. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
If you like this recipe, you might also like: