Chicken Curry Fried Rice is a healthy and delicious one pan meal that turns leftover chicken and leftover steamed brown rice into a deliciously healthy meal.
Almost everyone has had fried rice at a Chinese restaurant, but have you ever had Curry Fried Rice? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on the menu anywhere, but it’s so easy to make at home. Fried rice is one of those meals that was created as a way to use all all the bits and pieces of leftovers in the refrigerator, including leftover steamed rice. The very thought of that might make you wonder what goes into restaurant fried rice…hmm…
Well, even more reason for you to make your own fried rice at home. When it comes to fried rice, almost anything goes. The key is to chop everything into little bits, all about the same size. I usually use frozen peas, but carrots (you can use the frozen chopped ones), bell pepper, and cabbage are also nice in fried rice.
I made this Chicken Curry Fried Rice for this month’s Recipe Redux theme: Two for One where we were challenged to come up with a new dish using leftovers from a favorite recipe already on our blog. The leftover component of this dish featured is leftover chicken – I always seem to have leftover roast chicken or poached chicken in my fridge. Sure, there’s always tacos, quesadillas and enchiladas, or chicken salad that could be made with leftover chicken. But, what about something a little different like Chicken Curry Fried Rice?
Curry powder and oyster sauce are the key flavor ingredients in this recipe. If you don’t have oyster sauce, you could certainly use soy sauce or fish sauce. The idea of the toasted almonds on top came from my mom – she’s got a recipe for curry fried rice in her black binder too.
What’s your favorite way to use up leftover chicken?
Chicken Curry Fried Rice
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup cooked chicken cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 scallion chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- Place carrots and water to just cover in a microwavable bowl; microwave on high for 3 minutes; drain. Alternatively, steam carrots on the stove or used leftover cooked carrots.
- Heat oil in a large pan; add onions and saute until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add curry powder and saute until fragrant, about 15-20 seconds. Add chicken, cooked brown rice and peas and toss well. Add oyster sauce and continue to toss until rice is hot. Scatter scallions and toasted almonds on top just before serving.