If you’re looking for some comfort food, these Cheesy Cheddar Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes dish will fit the bill.
Growing up in a home where my parents prepared Chinese food almost every night, mashed potatoes weren’t part of our dinner repertoire. My memory of mashed potatoes were the instant mashed potatoes my mom used to make her famous curry puffs (which by the way are absolutely delicious).
It wasn’t until I started cooking Thanksgiving dinner for my own family that I learned how to make mashed potatoes. I couldn’t believe how easy they were to make and how good they tasted. Over the past several years, I’ve incorporated steamed cauliflower and substituted chicken broth, low-fat buttermilk and low-fat milk in place of cream to make my mashed potatoes a bit lighter and healthier.
A few weeks ago, I shared a recipe for Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes with Truffle Oil, and today, I’m sharing a more decadent version ~ Cheesy Cheddar Mashed Cauliflower Potatoes.
I tucked a few pieces of sharp cheddar cheese into the mashed cauliflower potatoes and also sprinkled some cheese on top. It’s a treat worthy of serving for a special occasion or if you just feel like making something a little special for your family.
Today, I’m participating in Food Network’s Sensational Sides where Cheesy side dishes are being featured. Be sure to check out what my fellow foodie friends made:
Weelicious: Mexican Rice Balls
Feed Me Phoebe: Sausage, Pepper and Onion Frittata
Cooking With Elise: Parmesan Noodle Bake
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Grilled Cheese with Spicy Pickles, Pepper Jack and Garlic Aioli
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Cheese and Grilled Vegetable Quesadillas
Red or Green: Cheddar Cheese and Red Chile Potato Soup
Virtually Homemade: Grilled Asparagus with Tomato Salad and Goat Cheese
Domesticate Me: Parmesan Quinoa Risotto with Roasted Asparagus and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
The Sensitive Epicure: Easy Cheesy Puffs (Gluten-Free)
Dishin & Dishes: Baked Herbed Ricotta Spread
Taste With The Eyes: Shrimp, Haricots Verts and Garbanzo Beans with Feta
FN Dish: Cheesy Brunch Sides
- ½ head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut up
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ⅛ cup low-fat milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup rBST-free extra sharp cheddar cheese, broken into chunks
- fresh minced chives, for grarnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Steam cauliflower until tender, about 10 minutes. Boil potatoes until just cooked through, about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size. Drain vegetables well and transfer to mixing bowl. Add chicken broth and milk and beat until smooth (cauliflower will be a little chunky so if you want a completely smooth texture, place cauliflower only in food processor and process until smooth - do not put potatoes in the food processor or they will turn gluey). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to baking dish and place cheese chunks on top of mashed cauliflower and potatoes, inserting a few pieces into the casserole dish.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.