For all you Buffalo Chicken lovers, this Buffalo Chicken Burger Salad will satisfy your tastebuds with a kick of hot sauce and blue cheese, while keeping your waistline in check.
I went to college in upstate New York where buffalo wings were all the rage. At that time (it was eons ago but feels like yesterday), buffalo chicken wings were still pretty regional and hadn’t become nearly as popular elsewhere as they are today. Nowadays, you can find buffalo wings in almost any town or city, and everything is “buffaloed.”
Recently, I sampled a buffalo chicken burger at a local favorite market, Stew Leonards, and although it didn’t really taste like buffalo chicken tome, gave me the idea to recreate a burger at home reminiscent of the good ‘ol college days when buffalo wings were our favorite midnight snack. I spotted a recipe for Buffalo Chicken Sliders that incorporated carrots and celery right into the burger, then coated the cooked burger in hot sauce and topped it with a blue cheese dressing.
My Buffalo Chicken Burger is kind of an inside out version of that burger, with the hot sauce and blue cheese built right into the burger.
I served this Buffalo Chicken Burger on a bun with lettuce, tomato, avocado, red onion and ranch dressing for my kids, and made a Buffalo Chicken Burger Salad for myself, which was simply a Buffalo Chicken Burger patty on top of a simple green salad with tomatoes, avocado, and red onion. A drizzle of organic ranch dressing was all that was needed.
This recipe is super easy – just ground chicken, Frank’s hot sauce, some crumbled blue cheese and a little cornstarch to bind everything together. It’s simple, but delicious and great for summer.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons Frank's hot sauce (less if you don't like it too spicy)
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- cooking spray
- 9 cups romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 2 tomatoes, cut up
- 1 avocado, cut up
- ¼ red onion, sliced thin
- organic ranch dressing
- In a medium bowl, mix together ground chicken, Frank's hot sauce, blue cheese and cornstarch. Form into four patties. Spray grill well with oil and cook patties until done.
- Toss together romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado. Divide among four salad plates. Top with a buffalo chicken patty and a slice of onion. Drizzle with ranch dressing.