When it’s hot out, I crave foods like these Cool Noodles with Green Pesto and Sweet Spicy Soy Sesame Dressing for lunch or dinner. Keep some cooked noodles, pesto, and soy sesame sauce in the refrigerator, and toss this noodle salad together whenever your heart desires.
When the peak of summer heat hits, I crave cool noodles, especially of the Asian variety. I’ve got a repertoire of Asian noodle salad recipes I reach for, but I’m always looking for new combinations. Today, I’m sharing a recipe I made recently that combines summer’s freshest produce in the form of a green pesto with a sweet and slightly spicy Asian dressing.
I’ve almost always got a jar of pesto in my refrigerator during the summertime – it’s my favorite way to get those leafy green vegetables into my kids’ meals without a fuss. Pesto goes down easy in kid meals, especially when it’s tossed in with pasta.
Some egg crepe strips add protein for a vegetarian option, or you could toss in some leftover poached, roasted or grilled chicken. Feel free to add other seasonal vegetables such as radish kimchi, cucumber banchan or napa cabbage.
What’s your favorite cool summer food?
- 4 cups cooked pasta
- 4 generous tablespoons Kale Basil Mint Parsley Pesto
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon organic sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- a few squirts of Sriracha
- red bell pepper, diced
- scallion, minced
- egg crepe, cut into thin strips
- Mix together Sweet Spicy Soy Sesame Dressing ingredients. Stir some dressing into Pesto to loosen it up.
- Toss cold, cooked pasta with some of the pesto dressing mixture. Drizzle with more Sweet Spicy Soy Sesame Dressing to taste. Serve with red peppers, scallions, and egg crepe strips.