This Grilled Thai Chicken with Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce is perfect for a quick and easy dinner. Made with ready-made pesto, it comes together quickly.
This Grilled Thai Chicken with Sweet Chili Sauce is something I threw together for dinner one night when I was late getting dinner started. As the school year winds down, dinner time seems to become less scheduled (which is a good thing) and less organized (gets those creative juices flowing). More days than not lately, I find myself scrounging through the refrigerator to see what I can whip up for dinner quickly.
During the school year, we typically eat dinner around 6PM, but recently, dinner was served near 8PM. My boys were wondering what happened to their normal dinnertime. I’m thankful that it’s grilling season – it makes for no-fuss meals and less cleanup. I’m looking forward to making two of our family favorites, Grilled Salmon with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce and Thai Coconut Curry Chicken with Peanut Sauce soon.
Garlic scapes are one of the first spring crops that can be found at our local farmer’s market. I love making pesto with garlic scapes at the start of the season. Although pesto tossed with pasta is one of my go-to meals throughout the Spring and Summer, this recipe for grilled chicken is a great way to use some of my Garlic Scape Cilantro Swiss Chard Pesto. The pesto is mixed with some soy sauce before slathering on thin cut boneless chicken breasts.
There’s a traditional Thai grilled chicken that is marinated with cilantro paste – this barbecue Thai Chicken is a twist on that dish. Served with a Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce, a simple salad and rice, this makes a quick and easy dinner.
- ⅓ cup Garlic Scape, Swiss Chard and Cilantro Pesto
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 6 chicken cutlets, thin sliced
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- Mix Pesto and soy sauce together. Rub all over chicken breasts and let marinade for 1-2 hours if possible (if not, don't worry, you can grill right away).
- Grill until done.
- Make Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce by combining all sugar, water, rice vinegar, garlic and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until it reduces and thickens slightly. Add chili-garlic sauce.
- Serve Grilled Thai Chicken with Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce.