This Chopped Mexican Salad with Lime Cilantro Dressing is perfect for lunch or as a side dish at a Spring or Summer barbeque. Chock full of black beans, roasted corn, avocado, red bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and red onion, this salad has lots of textures and will keep you coming back for more.
This past weekend, I hosted a celebration barbecue for my husband and his paddle tennis team buddies and their significant others. This Chopped Mexican Salad was one of the healthier dishes I made for the party. It’s always a challenge coming up with healthy dishes for my husband’s friends that are mainly meat eaters and act like kids when it comes to eating their vegetables. The topping is based on the same ingredients as my Roasted Corn, Black Bean and Avocado Salsa recipe, just without adding the seasonings (since the seasonings are in the dressing).
This chopped salad reminds me of one of my favorite salads at a local restaurant – they call it Picadillo Salad – which has all the ingredients I’ve included in my recipe plus jicama. Chock full of black beans, roasted corn, red bell peppers, tomatoes, avocado and red onion, this salad is fun to eat. I made a bright Cilantro Lime Dressing to go on top, simply blending fresh cilantro, fresh lime juice, olive oil, some honey, salt and pepper together. You can serve this salad with baked tortilla strips (or crumbled baked tortilla chips) for some extra crunch if you like. I’ve had it with and without the tortilla strips/chips and it’s refreshingly good.
Today, I’m participating in Food Network’s Sensational Sides event where Salads are being featured this week. Please be sure to check out what my fellow foodie friends made:
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Mexican Chopped Salad With Lime Cilantro Dressing
Feed Me Phoebe: Grilled Chicken Paillard With Chopped Nicoise Salad
Cooking With Elise: Garden Spring Rolls
The Cultural Dish: Arugula Salad With Beets and Goat Cheese
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Mixed Greens Salad With Shrimp and Oranges
Red or Green?: Spring Salad Greens With Spicy Chiocciole Pasta and Pine Nuts
The Sensitive Epicure: Green on Green Chopped Salad
Weelicious: Southwestern Salad
Made by Michelle: Mixed Greens With Grapeseed Oil and Balsamic
FN Dish: Vivacious Pasta Salad Sides
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn or 1 cob of corn
- 1½ cups cooked black beans (or one 15-ounce can)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 8 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese or Cojita cheese
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, rinsed well
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons honey, to your taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- baked corn chips, crumbled
- Heat oil in a pan and add corn. Saute until corn gets some brown spots and caramelizes a little bit. Remove.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, avocado, red bell pepper, red onion, cucumber and corn.
- To make Lime Cilantro Dressing, feed cilantro leaves through food processor tube and process until finely minced. Add lime juice and process a few seconds. Slowly pour olive oil through food processor tube and process until dressing emulsifies. Add honey, season with salt and pepper, and process a few seconds to combine.
- Place a large handful of romaine lettuce on salad plate. Top with a few large spoonfuls of corn, black bean mixture, and 1 tablespoon of crumbled feta cheese. Drizzle a little Lime Cilantro Dressing on top. If desired, crumble some baked tortilla chips on top.