If you’re looking for a showstopping dessert that’s on the lighter side for a special occasion (New Year’s would be perfect), look no further. I’ve got you covered. I made this Skinny Berry Cheesecake Trifle for our Christmas Eve Open House and it was a hit! I never divulged the fact that this decadent looking dessert was actually skinnied down ;).
I loved how festive this trifle looked with all the fresh berries layered throughout and piled on top. I used a combination of fresh strawberries and raspberries(Costco’s is a great place to buy berries at a good price – they even carry Driscoll’s berries, which I love). As far as I’m concerned, if I can sneak fruit into dessert, especially a lightened up dessert that still tastes decadent, it’s a win-win.
One trick I used was to substitute low-fat cottage cheese for the full-fat cream cheese and reduced fat sour cream for full-fat sour cream. Non-fat Greek yogurt would also be a great substitute for sour cream. This trifle was also lightened up by using angel food cake in place of pound cake which is often used in trifles.
Of course, portion sizes are important (this dessert is still high in sugar), so just a scoop of this gorgeous Trifle will satisfy your sweet tooth ;).
More Skinny Recipes:
- 2 cups non-fat or low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup non-fat or low-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 Angel Food cake, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 quart fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons amaretto
- fresh raspberries, for garnish
- Place cottage cheese in food processor and process until smooth. Add powdered sugar, sour cream, vanilla and almond extracts and process until mixed well.
- Beat whipping cream until light peaks form. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon sugar. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cottage cheese mixture. Add cake cubes and gently fold together until cake pieces are coated with cottage cheese mixture.
- Mix strawberries, raspberries, 2 tablespoons sugar and amaretto together. Place a layer of strawberries and raspberries in the bottom of a trifle bowl. Top with a layer of cake mixture. Add another layer of berries, then another layer of cake mixture. End with a layer of berries. Garnish with additional fresh berries.