Garlic Scape, Cilantro, Swiss Chard Pesto Recipe {CSA Box Recipe}

by Jeanette on June 25, 2012 · 27 Comments
1.6K Flares Twitter 9 Facebook 59 Pin It Share 1.1K Google+ 2 StumbleUpon 453 Email -- Filament.io 1.6K Flares ×
Garlic Scape Cilantro Swiss Chard Pesto

Garlic Scape Cilantro Swiss Chard Pesto

I joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) group again this summer and have been getting garlic scapes, Swiss chard, romaine lettuce, baby lettuce greens, scallions, and cilantro in my CSA Box the last few weeks. Last year, I made Garlic Scape Swiss Chard Pesto which was a nice change from the traditional basil pesto recipe. What I love about this recipe is that it’s an easy way to incorporate Swiss chard into meals without anyone noticing. The Swiss chard is blanched briefly just to get rid of the chalky raw taste, then processed simply with garlic scapes, cilantro, olive oil, salt and pepper.

This past week, I decided to make this pesto again, but added a bunch of cilantro from my CSA Box. It was a wonderful addition and added yet another layer of flavor to this pesto recipe. My kids have been enjoying this new twist on pesto on sandwiches, quesadillas and pasta this past week. I also used this pesto to make Thai BBQ chicken breasts for dinner the other night, served with a sweet chili garlic sauce (will be sharing this recipe soon!).

Garlic Scape, Cilantro, Swiss Chard Pesto

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Garlic Scape, Cilantro, Swiss Chard Pesto

Ingredients

• 1 bunch garlic scapes
  • 1 bunch swiss chard, leaves only
  • 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed, washed well
  • 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

1. Blanch swiss chard leaves in boiling water for 30 seconds, just to remove chalky taste. Rinse under cold water and squeeze out water.
  2. Put blanched swiss chard, garlic scapes and cilantro in the bowl of a food processor and process until still slightly chunky.
  3. Gradually pour olive oil in to feeder tube and continue processing until smooth.
  4. Season with salt and pepper.

This post has been linked up to Beyond the Peel’s Whole Food Wednesday Event.

Comments

1. what a fabulous combination! I must try this!

2. I kinda go a little bonkers over pesto… I’ve tried it all. Except for this magnificent combo. Shame my husband does not enjoy cilantro (LAME!) I’m going to have to sneak it in anyway. :-)

Hilarious – I sneak in different veggies all the time, although cilantro is tricky. I find people are either cilantro lovers or haters. Fortunately everyone in our house likes it.

3. Oh yes, you had me at cilantro!

4. Jeanette Jeanette says:

Kalyn – glad to hear you’re cilantro lover like everyone in my house. I’ve been getting some in my CSA Box each week and throwing it into anything I can think of.

5. Believe it or not, Jeanette, I had garlic scapes for the very first time recently! Boy, did I asolutely fall in love with them. I only bought a small bag at the farmer’s market and ended up eating them all though, so no time for pesto, although I did have a pesto recipe in mind. Obviously, I need to come north where garlic scapes are still available … or wait until next year. ;-) Great recipe!

Shirley

Shirley,
      I just came upon garlic scapes a few years ago myself and now look forward to them each growing season. They’re wonderful in pestos and stir-fries.

6. Gorgeous color full of fabulous seasonal ingredients. I have all of the ingredients and new I would make some pesto with the scapes, but I’ll add the chard as well!

7. Just gorgeous! I love traditional basil pesto and just made some the other night for dinner, but I’d love to try your version with the swiss chard, garlic scopes, and cilantro. Fabulous!!

I’m always looking for ways to use up all the fresh herbs and veggies I get from my CSA box and farmer’s market. Pesto is a great way to do this.

8. What an interesting combo for pesto, Jeanette!

9. This is a great way to use CSA goodies!

10. Fabulous combination of greens– we are huge pesto fans. Thanks for the great idea!

11. What a delightful variation on traditional pesto (and it’s always nice to get a little break from highly expensive pine nuts!) – looks fabulous too!

12. Jeanette Jeanette says:

Thanks Kelly – pesto has been a great way to use up the produce in my weekly CSA box. You’ll never miss the pine nuts!

13. I love your creative combination pesto! I still have a lot of scapes in the fridge and will try it. Every year a friend gives me a ton of scapes. I have found the best way to preserve them is to freeze them so I can use them year ’round. If you are in the same boat with many scapes to use up here is how I freeze them Using and Preserving Garlic Scapes

Kristel, I am hoping there are some more scapes this coming weekend at the farmer’s market. It’s such a short season.

14. This looks amazing. I love how simple your recipe is and that vibrant green color. Can’t wait to give this a try. I imagine it’s going to be sooooo good using in many different recipes.

15. I can never get enough variations in pesto recipes. I love to try everything about pesto. This looks really wonderful.

16. I love all the ingredients in this pesto. Yum!

17. camelia says:

Miraculously I had all of these ingredients in my fridge when I first happened upon this post. Perfect solo dinner inspiration! I added toasted sunflower seeds for a bit of added creaminess. Delicious! Thank-you for brightening my meal! (and several others to follow)

Camelia, love your addition of toasted sunflower seeds – will have to try that. Pesto is so versatile. We just had some for lunch today with pasta and fresh tomatoes.

18. I love pesto but have never made it with garlic scapes. I actually saw garlic scapes at a nearby farmer’s market last week and just walked past them, not knowing what I’d do with them. Next time I’ll be sure to buy them and try this !

19. I love this take on pesto!

20. My first interaction with scape was a the farmer’s market and I also made a pesto. So.dang.good.