With football season starting up, I will be making “football snacks” every weekend, a tradition in our house since my boys were young. Although football snacks are notoriously greasy and unhealthy, I’ve been trying to “healthify” our weekend snack fare the past several seasons while keeping them tasty and satisfying.
Last football season, I came up with a healthier version of Hot Buffalo Chicken Dip, and today, I tried a Hot Black Bean Salsa Dip, based on a hot layered Mexican dip I had years ago at a friends’ house. Although I still remember how good that dip tasted, I can only imagine how many calories were in each scoop.
This Hot Black Bean Salsa Dip takes all the flavors from the Mexican dip I so fondly remember, and mixes them into a single base layer. Melted with some shredded cheese on top, your guests won’t feel they’re missing out on anything. My little guy absolutely loved this dip. Although I served the Hot Black Bean Salsa Dip with tortilla chips, other whole grain dippers or crackers would go really nicely.
In my post last week, I wrote about Whole Grains Month, which is being celebrated the entire month of September. I am thrilled to announce that I will be hosting lots of healthy giveaways this month to help get everyone on the whole grains kick. To start us off with Whole Grains Month, Dr. Kracker is providing a giveaway of an assortment of their whole grain crackers, perfect for dipping in this Hot Black Bean Salsa Dip.
Giveaway Details: This Giveaway is now closed.
I have a fun giveaway package from Dr. Kracker, perfect for healthy snacking. FOUR winners will receive a gift box of assorted artisan-baked whole grain crackers, made with a blend of nature’s best whole grains and seeds. The gift box will include one box each of Dr Kracker’s Klassic 3 Seed, Pumpkin Seed Cheddar, Seedlander and Seeded Spelt crackers, full of whole grain goodness.
How To Enter:
All you have to do to enter is leave a comment telling us what your favorite whole grains are, what your favorite whole grain recipe is, or how you plan on adding more whole grains to your daily diet. The deadline for entering this giveaway is 9/13/11, 12 midnight EST. FOUR winners will be chosen using random.org and will have 4 days to respond or a new winner will be selected (please be sure to include your email address in your comment). For U.S. residents only.
You can earn additional entries by doing any of the following. Be sure to leave a separate comment for each additional entry so I know you did it:
- Tweet this giveaway, being sure to include my Twitter handle (@JeanettesHealth).
- Stumble this post and follow me @JeanettesHealth on Stumbleupon
- Stumble your favorite Whole Grains Post on my blog
- Sign up for my Email or RSS Feeds
- Follow @JeanettesHealth on Twitter
Hot Black Bean Salsa Dip
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- One medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, or one 15-ounce canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat organic cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Saute onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes until onions are softened.
- Add black beans and cook another minute or two until warmed through. Mash lightly with the back of a large spatula.
- Add corn, tomatoes, oregano, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, chipotle powder and salt to taste.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until vegetables are warmed through.
- Spoon contents of pan into a pie pan.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with organic corn tortilla chips or whole grain crackers.
This recipe has been submitted to Amy’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday.
More Healthier Game Day Snacks:
ingredients, inc.’s Lightened-Up and Healthier Mexican Layered Dip
Two Peas and Their Pod’s Loaded Nachos
Cookin’ Canuck’s Baked French Fries with Garlic, Parsley & Parmesan Cheese
Disclosure: Dr. Kracker offered this giveaway as part of Whole Grains Month, to help encourage all of us to add more whole grains to our daily diet
Join Aggie’s Kitchen and Real Mom Kitchen and share a family favorite Winter Comfort Food recipe for the Bush’s Beans Recipe Exchange!