Summer Vegetable Korean Lettuce Wrap
|Leafy Lettuce Greens, Parsley, Basil, Tomatoes and Corn from my CSA Box.|
|Swiss Chard, Eggplant, Carrots, Garlic and Onions from my CSA Box.|
|Fresh Green Beans from my CSA Box.|
|Corn, Tomato Basil Salad|
I got so caught up taking pictures of these fresh vegetables, prepping them and packaging them up, that I lost track of time. I was thrust into panic mode once I realized that we had to rush off to my son’s baseball games and he needed to eat first since the game wouldn’t end until at least 8PM. A quick and easy, light dinner was in order. As I brainstormed about what I could whip up in half an hour, I decided to make Korean Lettuce Wraps, something I haven’t made in a while, but has received rave reviews from many of my friends who have told me recently how their families just love these lettuce wraps.
In my original recipe, I used cole slaw mix, which is a wonderful in the wintertime when fresh local vegetables are nearly non-existent (except for greenhouse vegetables). However, since I was blessed with such a nice variety of fresh vegetables today, I decided to use some of these instead. I cut off the Swiss Chard Stems from the tender leaves, and chopped them up along with a few of the zucchini. I also used some of the Garlic Scape Pesto from my stash instead of garlic cloves – I got lots of Garlic Scapes early in the season and froze Garlic Scape Pesto in small portions.When I served these Summer Vegetable Korean Lettuce Wraps, I was accused of serving more than one vegetable at dinner – ha! Yes, I was guilty – I actually served 3 vegetables…lettuce, swiss chard, and zucchini (plus some fruit at the end)! The best thing is that this Korean Lettuce Wrap filling reheats nicely. In fact, I served it at three different times – fresh from the wok to my son who was headed to a baseball game, slightly reheated for my son who was headed to play softball on his dad’s team, and finally finished off by my husband after he returned from the softball game.
If you like a little more spice like I do, serve these Korean Lettuce Wraps with some Spicy Red Pepper Sauce (Gochujang Sauce).
Summer Vegetable Korean Lettuce Wraps
Stir-Fry Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Korean Red Pepper Paste (Gochujang)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Summer Vegetable Korean Lettuce Wrap Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Scape Pesto
- 2 thin slices ginger, minced
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- stems from one bunch of Swiss Chard, cut into 1/4″ pieces
- 1 medium or 2 small zucchinis, diced into 1/4″ piece
- Leaf lettuce or other large lettuce leaves
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Spicy Red Pepper Sauce “Gochuchang Sauce”, if desired
- Mix Stir-Fry Sauce Ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan or wok.
- Add Garlic Scape Pesto, ginger and onion, and stir-fry for about a 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add ground chicken and cook until no longer pink, breaking up pieces.
- Drain meat juices.
- Add Swiss Chard and stir-fry one minute.
- Add zucchini and Stir-Fry Sauce. Toss and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until zucchini is just tender, but not mushy.
- To serve, spoon some of the filling onto a lettuce leaf. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and drizzle with Spicy Red Pepper Sauce, if desired.
- Hold in hands and eat!
Spicy Red Pepper Sauce “Gochuchang Sauce”
- 3 tablespoons Gochujang (Note: contains wheat)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Mix all ingredients for Spicy Red Pepper Sauce “Gochuchang Sauce” well.