|Pasta with Sauteed Swiss Chard|
Swiss chard is one of my favorite leafy green vegetables that I buy at our local farmer’s market. I especially like rainbow swiss chard, with its deep red and yellow hues.
Usually, I simply saute swiss chard and eat it straight; but, today, I decided to toss the sauteed swiss chard with some pasta for a one dish meal. So simple, yet so good. In fact, I made this Pasta with Sauteed Swiss Chard for lunch today, and then made a gluten/dairy-free (vegan) version for dinner using Asian Greens that I bought from the farmer’s market.
I joined a CSA this summer and can’t wait to see what fresh produce I get – it starts next week! Although I have heard stories of people getting box after box of the same vegetables, I’m hoping that my box will hold a variety of vegetables to expand my horizons.
Each week, I hope to share some recipes that use the bounty of my CSA harvest share as well as any fresh produce I pick up from the local farmer’s market.
I am submitting this recipe to Cybele Pascal’s Allergy Friendly Friday Roundup, and to Presto Pasta Nights, which is being hosted by Simona of Briciole.
Pasta with Sauteed Swiss Chard
|A gluten/dairy-free (vegan) version – Gluten-Free Pasta with Sauteed Asian Greens|
- 1 bunch swiss chard or other leafy green vegetable
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large or 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound whole grain pasta or gluten-free pasta, cooked al dente
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- freshly grated parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (dairy-free/vegan option)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Trim tough ends of swiss chard. Slice stems and leaves into thin strips.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan and add sliced swiss chard stems and shallots.
- Saute until shallots are softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and capers, and saute another minute. Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Toss cooked pasta with sauteed swiss chard and a little extra virgin olive oil to loosen up the pasta.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and fresh ground pepper as desired.