|Mango Avocado Black Bean Quinoa Salad|
Today as I was preparing a few salads for a Ladies’ Luncheon at our church, on a last minute whim, I decided to whip up a Mango Avocado Black Bean Quinoa Salad, a vegetarian/vegan salad with fruits, grains and beans.
I got the idea as I was staring at the bowlfuls of mangos and avocados that have been sitting on my kitchen counter the last several days. As the boxful of mangos and California Avocados have been ripening, I’ve been making lots of Mango Smoothies and Avocado Smoothies. I’ve also made my favorite Mango Avocado Salsa, so a quinoa salad using similar ingredients seemed to be a natural extension of this recipe. Mangos and avocados make such a nice combination, one sweet, the other more savory, but both offering a smooth and silky mouth feel.
I am submitting this recipe to Cybele Pascal’s Allergy Friendly Friday Memorial Day BBQ Roundup.
Mango Avocado Black Bean Quinoa Salad
I used red quinoa, but you can use white or black quinoa. This is not a precise recipe, as mangos and avocados come in all different sizes. I like the silkier texture of Ataulfo or Champagne over the more fibrous Tommy Atkins variety.
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons raspberry balsamic vinegar
- 1 large or 2 small mangos, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 ½ cups cooked black beans or 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup mint, finely chopped
- ¼ cup scallions, minced
- ½ -1 whole jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To cook quinoa, place well rinsed quinoa in a small saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until water is completely absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Whisk together olive oil and raspberry balsamic vinegar. Add to quinoa and leave uncovered until cool. (Can be refrigerated until ready to finish making salad.)
- When quinoa is cool, add mangoes, avocado, black beans, red bell pepper, cilantro, mint, scallions, jalapeno pepper, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Kalyn’s Kitchen’s Quinoa Salad with Avocado, Radishes, Cucumbers, and Cumin-Lime Vinaigrette